Working together for the future of energy supply
SWW Wunsiedel GmbH is a classic multi-utility company with divisions that focus on energy, water, heating, fiber optics and swimming pool operation. The company was founded in 1908 as municipal enterprise of the city of Wunsiedel. In 2001, following deregulation of the energy markets, it was turned into a GmbH (limited-liability company). The city of Wunsiedel indirectly holds a 100% stake in the company. To better connect the infrastructure with electricity, water and optical fiber, WUN Infrastruktur KU was founded in 2013 as a wholly owned subsidiary of the city. The municipal enterprise holds 94% of the shares in SWW, while the city holds the remaining 6% directly. SWW Wunsiedel GmbH supplies seven politically independent townships with electricity and supplies water to the city of Wunsiedel and its districts. The townships supplied include Bad Alexandersbad, Brand, Ebnath, Kulmain, Nagel, Neusorg, Tröstau and Wunsiedel. SWW supplies around 20,000 residents with electricity and maintains a total of 520 km of pipelines and 200 transformer substations. SWW Wunsiedel GmbH ensures a reliable water supply for approximately 10,000 residents with more than 20 springs, 4 wells, 155 km of pipeline and 5 water towers. The company is further expanding its heat supply by building "satellite CHP plants with connected district heating grids." In doing so, SWW strengthens an active and intelligent network of power and heat with an integrated energy system, The company's strategic goal is to ensure a sustainable, future-viable, cost-effective and regional power supply. To this end, it plans to increase value creation in the region and reduce CO2 emissions by eliminating fossil fuels as much as possible. Another goal is to have the citizens share in the energy supply as much as possible. The WUNsiedler Weg Energie strategy was developed in 2001 for this purpose and has already been extensively implemented. During the course of implementing this strategy, new companies have in the past been formed with strategic partners. More information is available at www.s-w-w.com.